Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The light bulb is flickering

After pondering Assignment 4 all day today, I think some of it is finally sinking in. I went back and took a look at VTC--the section on file permissions and passwd. I also looked at various websites with information on adding users (useradd) and the structure of file permissions. I had a difficult time figuring out how the structure of file permissions worked. In the assignment, I added a new user to my system and then a group with the same ID as my new user. But I got stuck when I got to the part about switches. In this command, sudo useradd -g newuser -G users -m newuser, I think -g stands for initial group's ID, -G means other groups, and -m is the user's home directory. I'll have to go back and redo that step. I continued on to giving the new user a password and then looked at the file with less /etc/passwrd. Here is the line I saw for the new user:

digin:x:1001:1002::/home/digin:/bin/bash

Here is my explanation for what each item in the listing represents: 1st field is digin (username) 2nd field is x (password) 3rd field is 1001 (unique ID no. ) 4th field is 1002 (group ID no.) 5th field is /home/digin: (name of home directory) 6th field is /bin/bash (name of the program that runs every time I log in)

Anyone who reads this---please correct me if I'm wrong. I would also like to know where I can find more information on switches like -g, -G, -m. This isn't very easy to find. But then, I'm probably not looking in the right places. I think getting the line for the new user was my accomplishment of the day.

No comments: