Sunday, June 8, 2008

Blog Assignment

Before I talk about the tutorials in UACBT, I want to mention my experience with installing Workstation 6 and using the YouTube videos on VMWare. I think I mentioned elsewhere that the videos were of great help in installing the server and desktop. I had two browser sessions open; while watching a video in one screen, I could stop and start it as I went through the actual steps on the other screen. A great help was that both screens matched. If I remember correctly, they both looked pretty much the same all the way through each step. A few days later, I attempted to install Workstation 6 and was not as successful. The computer detected that VMWare Server was installed and didn't like that. The message I received was that I needed to uninstall the Server before installing Workstation 6. Bruce had mentioned earlier that Workstation would automatically dispose of the Server when installed. This didn't happen for me. So I went into my programs access area and removed VMWare Server. Then I proceeded to walk through installing Workstation 6 again, following the video that was made for installing the Server. This time it worked. I still need to delete the tab at the top of the screen that says Windows XP Prof., which I must have somehow loaded in there, but the Ubuntu tab is there and it works when I click on it.

Now for the UACBT tutorials. I watched them all in the order stated in Assignment 2. The Intro was historical and gave background information on Unix. In the six lessons in A Look Around the File System, we're introduced to the various commands used and the structure of the Linux system. I think I watched these lessons several times before I started to feel as if I understood what was being said. I know I couldn't use most of the commands without a hard copy of them to refer to right next to me. Perhaps with use, it will come easier. The sections discussing directories was a bit confusing. It seems like a lot of different commands are used to create a variety of different links to files. I don't quite understand the purpose of this. I think I need to go over these lessons three or four or more times yet.

No comments: