Monday, July 7, 2008

HTML and me

I was a member of the staff development committee when I was working in Special Collections at ASU years ago. Several of us were responsible for the online staff newsletter. It was there that I developed an interest in creating webpages. None of us had any formal training in html. We just picked up a few books, tested out our code, and went from there. You always have a mixture of levels of knowledge on subjects so our case was no different. Besides viewing the tutorials online as referenced in our assignment, I used the book, HTML : programmer's reference / Thomas A. Powell and Dan Whitworth. It's pretty much just a book of codes, most of which I'm not familiar with but was useful for some things nonetheless.

Status report on demo system: Not good. I spoke with several people about possible problems. I installed Ubuntu server twice just to see if I would get the same response, that is, network failure, and I did. My demo is hardwired to the router. I called my ISP (Cox Cable) and was told that my demo should automatically set up the IP address. After we talked a bit more, he said it could be the network card so I'm planning on buying one that he suggested and see if this is the problem.

No comments: