Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Assignment 5 - Digital object collection

My collection is based on the evolution of my sister’s business, a bakery, which was brewing in her brain in early 2006. By late 2006, a building was bought, remodeled, and turned into the Edible Art Specialty Cakes and Cookies bakery in Longview, Texas in 2007.

Since this is a place of business I would like to try to provide as wide and broad an access as possible.

My digital objects consists of photographs, copies of scanned newspaper articles, copies of email messages which reside on my computer’s desktop or on CD, a sound file, and a pdf file.

Some of the terms I might use to provide access to the collection are:

bakery
Longview
Texas
cake
cookie
mothers and business
kids
schools
parties

The Shirky essay gave me some ideas about categorizing and access. I’d like to think about ways I could use tagging (i.e., a user could use tagging). Maybe I need to think about Shirky’s idea on market logic. If there is no shelf, and no disk, then moving towards market logic takes me to group value. I want a lot of hits to the site. I want my users to make sense of the world.

No comments: