Saturday, May 31, 2008

Demo Computer

I've been hunting around for a demo computer and finally bought one today. Boy, will I have alot to tell my PC Basics students. In that class that I teach, I take off the cover to a desktop computer and a tower so students can see the guts. The students invariably are awed by the interior and wonder aloud as to how a person could know what's going on inside there. Little did I know that a day would come when I would have to be that person--not that I know what I'm doing but I will ;-) Chris, the proprietor of RedSeven's Computer Outlet, where I bought my box, asked me what OS was going into it, since I told him I didn't need one installed. When I said Linux, he asked me which one and I was beaming when I said Ubuntu, so proud was I because I actually knew what he was talking about. I mean, I actually knew what I was talking about. He then showed me a computer running Ubuntu (I think most of the computers running at the time were using Ubuntu). There was a square figure on screen and when Chris clicked on something, the box-like figure rotated in 3D fashion. It was pretty cool. He told me to go ahead and play around with it which I did but I didn't know what I was doing. The commands weren't intuitive to me. He installed a CD-RW on my box, upgraded to 512mb of RAM and I bought a KVM

No comments: